Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sydy Streets

See what I did there? Sydy? Pretty clever right.
So, last week was our break. I needed break, hell I EARNED a break. I've been working my ass off. Its 1am and I'm still at school. I work, go to class, do school work, work at my other job and then go to sleep. I didn't take a break, I decided to work. I need the money and its been too long getting stuff sent off to the office so I busted down and worked. When I wasn't working I was doing movie software tutorials.

One night I was at school late and one of the staff was locking up and asked how long Id be. I said no worries, I'll lock up when you go, I know all the alarm codes etc. So he says, ok, just be careful when you leave. I must have looked at him funny because he continued to say that one of the boys got mugged the other night. Walking home late, 2 dudes walked over to him and demanded his wallet, not smart enough to realize what a camera bag and laptop bag looks like, they walked away with a few bucks.

We go to school in a rough area. Think Forest Lawn in Calgary, or east end in Moncton. I wander around fairly oblivious to all that because I don't tend to get messed with much. My friend that got mugged is a 120 lb italian guy who looks like a strong breeze could knock him over.

Since then I've started to take more notice of whats going on around me. There is a huge homeless population here. More so than Calgary. There are people sleeping everywhere some mornings. The parks, alleys, doorways. They rarely pan handle though. It happens but not as often as home. You can't walk 10 feet down 17th without some guy asking you for a dollar. In Sydney the homeless guys do this thing where then put down their hat then kneel down before it like they're praying to Mecca. Sometimes people approach me for money and its always a specific amount. Usually 2 dollars. Inflation man.
Giant world heritage listed Coke sign at Kings Cross

The other night I was walking home from Kings Cross. Thats the Red Light District here in good ol' Sydney. Lots of strip clubs, bars, and hookers galore. Me and a buddy met some folks to see a band at a pub there. Believe me, I'm not above strippers, I just can't afford it. I was heading home and I got to my street and these four dudes were standing there. One of them throws his hands up in my face and makes some sort of gang sign or something. I just kept walking. Well that really riled him up. The nerve of me ignoring his flamboyant gang sign. He started yelling that he was going to kill me. Kids.

On the way home there's a motorcycle shop that usually has dozens of bikes out front. At night there are none. Apparently some jackass thinks its cool to knock over bikes. I've had this happen to me twice, on both bikes I've owned. Very annoying. I did the responsible thing, took a picture and ran away.



Theres a lady near the school here that feed that stray cats at night. She just dumps cat food on the ground and dozens come running. Not scary but what a weird hobby. 

polls_crazy_cat_lady_4938_182543_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Other than that I really haven't found Sydney to be all that scary. I found out some of the guys at school find me scary so, it just goes to show that Australian guys are candy ass bitches who need to back up before I go off. Well, now that I've tempted fate...time to walk home through Redfern. Knock on wood!

No comments:

Post a Comment